Yoga is the oldest method of physical workouts that has been practiced by our ancestors for control on both body and mind. Its origin dates back to 3000 B.C and has been mentioned in the texts of Rig Veda, which are the oldest texts in the history of mankind. Yoga was initially discovered in Indian Subcontinent, and today it has spread across the globe. It not only helps in building a fit body but also relieves the mind from various anxieties and other negative emotions.
Yoga helps in generating more Insulin in the body. More insulin is an indicator to the body, that the excess fats present in the body must be used as fuel rather than storing it. Yoga is also good for people suffering from Diabetes, High Blood pressure and Heart diseases. Yoga is much preferred than Gym workouts because, of its lesser side effects and long lasting effects on the body. Though, the results from Yoga are slow but it is much healthier way of reducing weight and day to day stress. Below are some Yoga poses (Asana) for weight loss.
Yoga for Weight loss
- The Frog Pose (Mandukasana)
Its formation is quite similar to that of a frog’s posture hence, it got the name Manduka(Meaning frog in Sanskrit) Asana. This Yoga pose is one of the most familiar poses, which is not only good for belly fat reduction but also for Pancreatic and Liver problems. Below are the steps to perform this Yoga asana(Pose).
- Sit on your floor mattress in Vajrasana
- Now, make fists out of your hands and place them below your stomach on your abdomen.
- With the fists in their respective positions, try to bend down forward facing in the forwards direction.
- Hold this position for 20-30 seconds before returning back to your initial position.
- The Boat Pose (Nauka Sanchalan asana)
This Yoga asana represents that of a Boat hence it has been named Nauka (Sanskrit: boat) Sanchalan Asana. This asana not only helps in reducing belly fat but also helps in developing ABS and strengthening the Abdomen muscles! Below are the steps for performing this Yoga asana (Pose).
- Lie down on your back comfortably on your floor mattress.
- Now slowly lift both your legs in the air without bending them making an obtuse angle.
- Lift your hands and try to reach your legs making a 45 degrees angle.
- Remain in that position for 10-15 seconds and return back to your normal position slowly.
- The Crescent Moon pose (Ardha-Chandraasana)
This Yoga pose has resemblance with that of a crescent moon that’s the reason why it has been named Ardha-Chandra (Sanskrit: Half moon) asana. This yoga asana helps not only in weight reduction but also helps in mobilizing our hip joints. This pose is beneficial for men too as it helps in broadening chest and shoulders. Below are the steps to perform this Yoga Asana (Pose).
- Stand on your floor mattress in a mountain pose also known as Tada-asana.
- Now bring your right hand just infront of your right foot by placing your fingers on the floor.
- Rise up your left leg without bending or folding your right leg.
- Raise your left hand pointing towards the ceiling and face towards the celing. Hold this position for atleast 10-15 minutes.
- Standing forward Bend (Pada-Hastasana)
This asana basically focuses on hands and foot position hence it is called Pada (Legs) – Hasta (Hands) Asana (pose). This Yoga pose reduces stomach fats and also helps in strengthening the spinal cord and back muscles. Steps for performing this asana:
- Stand in the mountain pose (Tadasana) on your floor mattress with your spine straight.
- Now, exhale in and lift your hands upwards towards the ceiling.
- Bend forward and try to touch your feet without folding your legs with head in downward direction.
- Keep in this position for 20-25 seconds and return back to your initial position.
- Warrior Pose I (Veera-bhadrasana I)
This Pose represents that of an old mythical warrior hence, it has been named as Veerabhadrasana.This Yoga asana helps in stretching out our back muscles and strengthening the spine. It is also beneficial as it helps in removing excess fat from the thighs and hips. Here are some steps for performing this Yoga asana.
- Stand in the Mountain pose on your floor mattress with your back straight.
- Now, move your right leg forward and bend it like that of a lunge and stretch out your left leg backwards.
- Lift your hands up facing the sky or the ceiling and keep your face in the forward direction.
- You can move your left foot sideways in order to maintain your balance. Keep in this position for 10-20 seconds.
- Warrior Pose II (Veera-Bhadrasana-II)
This yoga pose is quite similar to that of the previously mentioned Veerabhadrasana. This asana helps in reducing the excess fat from the body and helps in strengthening the shoulder and back muscles. Here are the steps below to perform this asana:
- Stand in the mountain pose on your floor mattress with your back straight.
- Instead of raising your hands upwards keep them straight to your shoulders level.
- Now instead of moving your right leg forward, move it sideward. Bend your right leg like that of a lunge and repeat the same with the left leg
- Keep the above said positions for atleast 10-20 seconds before returning back to your initial position.
[Also Read: Stretch exercises for Neck and Back pain]
- Bridge Pose (Setu Bandha asana)
Setu Bandha (Bridge Bind) Asana (Pose) is one of the best yoga asana for reducing lung problems and digestion issues. It stretches out the back and chest muscles and burns out the excess fats present in the body. Below are the steps to perform this asana:
- Lie on your floor mattress on your back with arms on your sides and palms facing the floor.
- Bend your knees in such a way that the feet are lying completely on the floor.
- Make sure that the distance between your hips and feet is equal to that of the distance between your palms and feet.
- Now, lift your body in the upward direction from the waist keeping your hands in the same position.
- Stay in this position for atleast 20-25 seconds before returning back to your initial position.
- Tree Pose (Vriksha asana)
This pose represents that of a Tree, hence it has been named Vrikhsa (Sanskrit: Tree) Asana or tree pose. This Yoga asana is beneficial for abdomen muscles and reduces excess fats in thighs and arms. Below are the steps to perform this asana.
- Stand firm on your floor mattress and keep your back straight in attentive position.
- Now, place your body weight on the left leg and lift up your right leg placing the right foot just beside the left knee.
- Raise your hands above the head forming a Namaskar position with your palms.
- Keep this position for atleast 20-25 seconds before returning back to your initial position.
- Sun Salutation (Surya Namaskar)
When it comes to weight loss and fat reduction Surya Namskar is one of the best yoga asanas. It is a set of 8 very effective Yoga asanas that help in stretching out all of the body muscles and keeping the mind healthy. Below are the various poses in a Surya Namaskar yoga:
- Prayer Pose
- Raised prayer pose
- Hand to foot pose
- Equestrian pose
- Stick pose
- Ashtanga Namaskara (Salute with 8 limbs Pose)
- Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose)
- Parvatasana (Back Mountain Pose)
[Also Read: Tips to Increase Stamina or Physical Endurance]
- Mind Illumination (Kapal Bhati Pranayama)
Kapala (Sanskrit: Skull) Bhati (Sanskrit: Illumination) Pranayam is a breathing exercise that helps in strengthening stomach muscles and reducing the fats located in the abdomen and in the stomach area. Below are the steps to perform this Yoga/pranayama.
- Sit comfortably on your floor mattress in attentive pose and place your palms on the knees.
- Close your eyes and initially start taking deep breath so that no more bad air is present in your lungs.
- Now, exhale out the air by pulling your stomach inside, bulging inside and hold for 5 seconds and then exhale out.
- Repeat this for atleast 50 times and increase it daily accordingly.
Image Courtesy: boomlive.in